Assessment Blog:
I’ve read the Killing joke before, so, unfortunately, I cannot have a genuine reaction of shock or excitement. I will say that the text holds up really well, and in fact, I feel like in a way, it got better the second time I read it. My overarching reaction was just how well structured the story was, because it cuts so cleanly between the past and the present Joker due to parallelisms of his life of crime. To me, it was also interesting how we all know Joker as this iconic villain, but yet we can not help but feel sorry for him because we know what he has been through. I’m not justifying him doing all the shitty things he has done, but it does bring some enlightenment to his entire situation.
Alan Moore does a brilliant job of depicting the iconic villain in a way that makes them more human, so we as readers can identify with. It is kind of weird to say, but I was able to connect with the Joker, and really empathize with how he felt in his earlier life. The idea of having to support a family and being a failure is pretty rational. It is something I think most people can understand, and it is in our nature to do everything we can to protect the things we care about. That’s why he was pushed so far as to resorting back to crime in order to support his family. He would do anything in order to succeed so that he could support them

Usually, If pressed with the question, “if you were to make changes to turn this into another medium, which medium would you choose?”, I would choose animation. However, in my mind, I feel like this is something that needs to be shot live-action. So recently, the movie Joker came out, and it was a take on how the Joker was driven into madness. A big reason that the movie was so successful was because we were able to identify with the Joker on a personal level. The same holds true for the killing joke because we got to see his pure motives of his life before, and we were able to identify with his cause. By shooting this live-action, we give real human life to the character. That way, by watching someone go through the experience I feel like we would be able to identify with it a lot more. In terms of changes, I would make in order to adapt to this, I would honestly cut out all the scenes with Batman searching for the Joker because I identified with him less in this comic. It would allow the story to focus on the humanization of Joker and give more meaning to how he became the way he is today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog