Week 13: 
So, this week I had the privilege of reading Arkham Asylum and First off, great read. I could talk about all the aspects that I think make this reading so objectively successful. But, honestly, I'm going to start with the common trend of my blog posts and stick with panel orientation and page layout. It’s not because I’m incapable of any other type of analysis. But, because every week I’ve been trying to choose stories that specifically can only be told by the paper medium in order to reinforce my support for the medium. Anyways, Arkham Asylum once again is a piece that is, in my opinion, only optimally successful if it is absorbed in a paper medium. So, the panel orientation is confusing as fuck, however, they are purposefully like that. From my interpretation, the reading attempts to simulate you going mad and crazy. You are supposed to experience it as if you were going through the asylum going mad and crazy. The orientation of the panels and the dark confusing painted lighting are purposefully disorienting you in order to enhance your reading experience. It’s kind of hilarious because typically with comics because you are limited by panels, your job as the illustrator is complete clarity. But with this piece, the artist was like, “let's confuse the fuck out of them because it will enhance their experience”. But, it’s also not done at random. They have to be very strategic because if you make it too challenging then the reader will lose interest. However, Arkham Asylum is on a fine line where I am actually focused so hard on trying to make sense of the panels that they are the only thing I can focus on. Which in turn, allows the reader to be fully immersed. Overall, amazing reading and very effective in its stylistic choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog