Week  11:
So, I read Why I Hate Saturn this week because I’ve never been to Saturn and I wanted to know what’s to hate. Sadly, It was not about Saturn. However, It immediately snagged my attention because of its choice of design. The first thing you should know is that it is beautiful. The presentation of it is really unique, and to me, it kinda looks like the whole comic is on a fancy french menu because it’s pink and has a very intricate border. So, the overall presentation was very appealing and easy to read. What was really cool was the way the text was designed outside the frame. I really like this aspect because the drawings are very beautiful, and are drawn in a bold sharpie style that reminds me of storyboards. Because of this stylistic choice, the classic comic speech bubbles did not get in the way of the beautiful drawings. The order of the text was also very well designed, and the dialogue was always very neat and concise, which reinforced the design by making it look more simple.

As for the story, it immediately grabbed my attention because of how relatable the main character was. Basically, she was introduced as a very self-deprecating, which is something many millennials, such as myself, resonate with. Also, her friend had a very interesting commentary on women, which I did not agree with, but was nonetheless very entertaining. Basically, what he said was that there are three types of girls. There are girls who are so pretty that they don’t need to be smart, there are girls that are not pretty, so they have to rely on their brains, and there are girls who are smart and pretty but do not know they are pretty, so they’re crazy. Personally, I think women are a little more complex than that, but the thought is entertaining. So overall, it was a very entertaining and visually appealing read. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog