Week 9:
This week I had the chance to read Jodorowsky Moebius’, What is a
Above. It hooked me right away because of its graphic style, and its bold and robust sense of color. In many classic comics and manga, there is heavy use of cross-hatch shading to emphasize tense or dynamic moments. However, in What is Above, I noticed that Jodorowsky Moebius uses very graphic line work in order to highlight these same moments. The graphic line work is then reinforced by flat color, which makes the graphic linework really pop. Visually, its strongest quality is each panel's sense of color theory. There's a strong use of complementary and analogous colors throughout the comic, which makes it very visually appealing.

In terms of the story, I liked it a lot. For any Guardians of the Galaxy fans, I feel like this reading is perfect for them. The whole world-building is a bit random and outlandish, however, it is not one that pulls me out of the story. In fact, it is quite the opposite. The kind of quirkiness and strangeness of the world in terms of logic and characters is really charming. There's a nice combination of unique technology, humanoid and human characters, and avant-garde world that resonates the same charm as Star Wars and Guardians of the galaxy. Overall, I liked it a lot, and for all those who love fantasy and technology, I would highly recommend this series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog