Week 10: 
This week, I had the chance to read Alita Battle Angel. Before, I had only known Alita from the CG movie that came out in 2019, which I wasn't a huge fan of because of the uncanny valley of huge anime eyes on realistic people. So, it was really interesting for me to give it another chance. Thankfully, I loved it a lot. I feel like the art style really compliments the dystopian world and adds to the whole intense tone of the reading. I think it is really awesome how they use the hatch shading to elevate the intensity and dynamics of the drawing. I feel like it helps to indicate tone and movement. I’ve seen it prevalent in a lot of manga, and it's a stylistic choice I really admire. 

I talk about it almost every week, but an awesome thing I noticed was the choice of panel shape they used in certain pages. Yukito Kishiro decided to make some of the panels slant into each other, and it made the frames really flow into each other, which helped the story. I used to be very biased in watching anime vs. manga because the anime I watch are very explosive and dynamic, and  I like to see dynamic movement at 24 frames per second. But, what I never realized was that it is confined to a frame of a fixed aspect ratio. But, manga has the ability to use its framing in order to push the dynamics and movement by using varied shapes. So, in reading Alita, not only do I have a newfound respect for manga, but I now really want to read more. But overall, Alita is very good and I am eager to read the other Issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog